Application for Study
By May 30th, 2021 it is necessary to submit an electronic application for study at the Prague University of Economics and Business and pay an administrative fee for the procedures connected with the admission procedure.
After submitting an electronic application, the applicant will receive (through the e-mail address submitted in the application) the account number and variable symbol to be used for the payment of the admission fee, which can only be paid by postal order or by bank transfer; no other form of payment is permissible. The admission fee is not refunded in the case of absence from the entrance exams.
The admission fee amounts to 870 CZK; for study programmes in a foreign language, it is 50 EUR.
The entrance exam is being scheduled on June 17th, 2021. The alternative exam term is available for applicants only upon submission of well-justified request. The alternative exam term is planned on September 9th,2021.
Conditions for sitting entrance exams
Only those applicants who have duly submitted the application for study and other compulsory documents no later than May 30th, 2021 can sit the entrance exam:
- Addendum to the application form and Statement of preliminary and concurrent studies (available at https://science.vse.cz/doctoral-studies/for-applicants/).
- A structured CV, including a list of any published professional papers with a brief annotation and references to these papers.
- Proof of university education achieved (a certified copy of the diploma and final certificate, and in the case of foreign students a nostrification diploma).
- A research project proposal (4-6 A4 pages) in a form of an academic essay briefly introducing the area of research and identifying the research gap (including a short literature review) should be submitted with the application. The applicant must indicate the supervisor’s name (with whom he has discussed his/her research proposal) in the application form.
Content of entrance exams
The entrance examination consists of two parts:
- Professional knowledge is demonstrated in the form of an expert discourse on the issue of the study programme to which the applicant applies. At the same time, the professional interest, knowledge of the study programme and the overall readiness of the applicant for doctoral studies are assessed.
- The faculty does not require a foreign language exam from the applicant. However, the professional discussion during the discourse is conducted in English.
- In addition, an applicant with a foreign nationality who will study the programme in the Czech language will have to prove an active knowledge of the Czech language during the admission discourse. The only exceptions are applicants from the Slovak Republic who will pass the admission interview (professional discourse) in English.
Evaluation of the entrance exam
The professional part of the exam is evaluated by a grade and verbal assessment. The language part of the entrance exam is evaluated by a grade.
The grades are as follows:
- 1 – excellent
- 2 – very good
- 3 – good
- 4 – failed
If the applicant receives from any part of the exam a grade 4 – failed, this means that he/she did not succeed in the entrance examination. The commission will give a brief justification of the result.
After verifying the terms for admission to study and depending on the results of the entrance exam, the professional orientation of the applicant and the capacity of the supervisors in the given study programme, the Dean will decide whether or not the applicant will be accepted for study.
A written decision on admission/non-admission to doctoral study will be sent to each applicant in accordance with the Act on Higher Education.
The admitted applicant will receive a decision on admission to the doctoral study programme, respectively the field of study, including the decision on the form of study and admission to the department, as well as instructions regarding enrolment and commencement of the studies.
If the applicant was not admitted solely due to the lack of capacity of supervisors, the results of their entrance exam will remain valid for one year from the date the examination took place; the applicant may apply in the prescribed manner in the next regular term of the admission procedure with a request for recognition of the previous successful entrance examination.
The Dean reserves the right to change the form of study in the decision on admission in regard to the needs of the faculty and subject to consultation with the guarantor of the field of study.
The applicant may request a review of the decision. The request is to be submitted to the Rector, through the Dean of the Faculty who issued the decision, within 30 days from the date of receipt.
An applicant who has been admitted to the doctoral study programme becomes a Ph.D. student from the date of enrolment.
The conditions of study in the doctoral study programme are regulated by the Study and Examination Rules of the Prague University of Economics and Business.
Specific duties of Ph.D. students at the Faculty of Management are regulated by the Doctoral Standard.
More information can be obtained from Ph.D. studies officer Mgr. Irena Míková (email@example.com, +420 384 417 235).