Application for Study
The admission begins on April 1st. By May 31th, 2024 it is necessary to submit an electronic application for study at the Prague University of Economics and Business and pay an administrative fee for the procedures connected with the admission procedure.
After submitting an electronic application, the applicant will receive (through the e-mail address submitted in the application) the account number and variable symbol to be used for the payment of the admission fee, which can only be paid by a postal order or by bank transfer; no other form of payment is permissible. The admission fee is not refunded in the case of absence from the entrance exams.
The admission fee amounts to 880 CZK; for study programmes in a foreign language, it is 50 EUR.
The entrance exam is being scheduled for June 20th 2024. The alternative exam term is available for applicants only upon submission of a well-justified request. The alternative exam term is planned for September 12th 2024.
Only those applicants who have duly submitted the application for study and other compulsory documents no later than May 31st, 2022 can sit the entrance exam:
- Appendix to Application Form for Doctoral Study.
- A structured (academic) CV, including a list of any published professional papers with a brief annotation and references to these papers.
- Proof of university education achieved (a certified copy of the diploma and final certificate, and in the case of foreign students, a Recognition of education abroad for the purpose of the admission procedure at VSE Prague).
- A research project proposal (4-6 A4 pages) in the form of an academic essay briefly introducing the area of research and identifying the research gap (including a short literature review) should be submitted with the application. The essay should follow the structure of a research article (esp. the first three sections, that is Introduction, Theoretical Background, Data, and Methods). The essay should explicitly state the research aim and the expected contribution to the Management field. The list of literature should also be included. The candidate should indicate the name of the potential supervisor with whom he/she has (optimally) consulted the research aim and the dissertation topic. It is recommended to use the essay template.
The entrance examination consists of two parts:
- The applicant’s qualification for the study is verified during the discussion of the topic of the research project. At the same time, the applicant’s general expertise and overall readiness for doctoral studies are assessed.
- International candidates (does not apply for Slovakia) applying for the Czech study program must demonstrate active knowledge of the Czech language during the interview.
- The admission interview can be organized online
Evaluation of the entrance exam
The professional part of the exam is evaluated by a grade and verbal assessment. The language part of the entrance exam is evaluated by a grade.
The grades are as follows:
- 1 – excellent
- 2 – very good
- 3 – good
- 4 – failed
If the applicant receives from any part of the exam a grade 4 – failed, this means that he/she did not succeed in the entrance examination. The commission will give a brief justification of the result.
After verifying the terms for admission to study and depending on the results of the entrance exam, the professional orientation of the applicant and the capacity of the supervisors in the given study programme, the Dean will decide whether or not the applicant will be accepted for study.
A written decision on admission/non-admission to doctoral study will be sent to each applicant in accordance with the Act on Higher Education.
The admitted applicant will receive a decision on admission to the doctoral study programme, respectively the field of study, including the decision on the form of study and admission to the department, as well as instructions regarding enrolment and commencement of the studies.
If the applicant was not admitted solely due to the lack of capacity of supervisors, the results of their entrance exam will remain valid for one year from the date the examination took place; the applicant may apply in the prescribed manner in the next regular term of the admission procedure with a request for recognition of the previous successful entrance examination.
The Dean reserves the right to change the form of study in the decision on admission in regard to the needs of the faculty and subject to consultation with the guarantor of the field of study.
The applicant may request a review of the decision. The request is to be submitted to the Rector, through the Dean of the Faculty who issued the decision, within 30 days from the date of receipt.
An applicant who has been admitted to the doctoral study programme becomes a Ph.D. student from the date of enrolment.
The conditions of study in the doctoral study programme are regulated by the Study and Examination Rules of the Prague University of Economics and Business.
Specific duties of Ph.D. students at the Faculty of Management are regulated by the Doctoral Standard.
More information can be obtained from Ph.D. studies officer Mgr. Irena Míková (email@example.com, +420 384 417 235).